Monday, June 13, 2016

August 18, 2015  My Journey to Pedal The Plains
first published as a Plain Pedaler on http://www.pedaltheplains.com

If you told me two months ago I would be getting up before the sun to cycle, I’d have told you you were crazy! I had absolutely no interest in biking. My husband took up cycling approximately four years ago and encouraged me to start riding a bike because he thought it would be something fun for us to do together. Ha. That part of the story ended after he was in a hit-and-run accident. The mirror from a work truck clipped my husband sending him to the ER with a broken collarbone and a mass of road rash. That was enough to ensure I wasn't taking up this dangerous sport! That was until Pedal the Plains. My husband came to me and said, "let’s do this in honor of your folks and the land you love." I was suckered!

I grew up on a farm between Amherst and Holyoke. As we pedal the plains we’ll travel near our farmland, go through my hometown of Amherst, which hosts the historical St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, and pass approximately two miles from the farmhouse where I grew up. I went to school in Holyoke and I am still a Holyoke Dragon. The Julesburg Lions were our sports rivals and I attended Northeastern Junior College in Sterling. Yep, I’m a Northeastern Plainsmen! Back up a bit because I spent time in Venango, NE, also. We have a St. Paul’s Lutheran Church there too. The pastor is the same in both Venango and Amherst making us the only duel parish in separate states. (Try to find out otherwise!)

And so the biking began. I am a fashionista. I love clothes, shoes and jewelry. As the manager of a charity thrift shop, on any given day, you’ll see me wearing outfits that fit my mood: anything from western wear to golf clothes. Bet you can guess where this is going… The guys at Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ worked hard to fill my fashion needs, bringing on my pink and grey bike, pink and black helmet, black gloves and black shoes (Okay, my shoes have a little bit of turquoise on them but as the guys pointed out my socks hide that pretty much.)

Now that I was all duded up and looking the picture of the stylish bicyclist, I was ready to ride. Husband dutifully held my bike while I “clamped” in. (Clipped seams too nice for these torture devices.)

“Pedal,” says husband.

I pedal.

“Wait!” says husband. “We need to go over how to unclip!”

I stop. Promptly fall over. “Medic! Sports injury! Get me unhooked! HELP!”

Hobble to house. Put ice on knee.

Husband says this does not count as day one training for Pedal the Plains.


No comments:

Post a Comment